8/24/2004

Parting ways.

I exhausted this project to the core. After arriving back to Ventura today, I spent the entire evening editing through the 600+ pictures I made with Chris. I believe the final edit is a fine one. My pictures aren't the most exciting, and I think I could have done better; but for what I got, the final edit is well put together.

Yesterday wasn't much of a day. Photography-wise, at least. Chris spent most of it organizing and planning for his crossover into Mexico. "Besides," he says, "It's Sunday." I guess going out onto the town and shoving events into your day isn't what should be done on a Sunday. I find that very interesting. Even a person with no religious beliefs considers a Sunday a day of rest. I wonder if the whole idea of working six days - okay, okay...what Chris is doing isn't really "working," but you get what I mean - and resting on the seventh is fused into everyone's head. It's a terrible thing to see Sunday slowly being fazed out as a resting day. I remember as a child not going out and shopping and eating out because everything was closed. Sunday indeed felt like a day of rest.


Chris plans his route through Mexico. Posted by Hello

The evening did kick up a little, for Ed invited Adam to come over and look at pictures of the Denali climb. Chris, Ed, and Adam had a fun time socializing and looking through the pictures of incredible mountain peaks and beautiful lakes and valleys. God has really done a work of art creating this world. Before the night's end, Chris and I went out to an Irish pub and shared a few drinks just to hang out one last time before I leave tomorrow.


On the way to pick up some KFC for typical American fast food...so nutritious. Posted by Hello


Chris, Ed (middle), and Adam (right) look at some pictures taken on the top of Mt. McKinley on Denali peak. Posted by Hello

I like to learn through observation of other people. Direct mentoring and advisory isn't my cup of tea. Unless you are a close friend of mine, I won't seek advise from you. But getting life lessons from how people go about their own lives can be very effective. It is for me. What have I learned from Chris? Chris's way of living is to make the most of what you do. I think he went on this expedition around the world because he wants to appreciate this world as a whole and do it first hand. He also knows that time ultimately does not matter, and a rushed life is a stressful one. I think Chris has affected me in this way. I don't see much hurry in life anymore. Of course, there is the urgency that presents itself every once in a while, but they are rare. Kick back and relax. There is a lot to do, yes, but there is a lot of time to do it in too. I think God only demands so much of us that we can handle. He understands how we deal with things, and He won't overload us to the point of unrecoverable breakdown.

God's cool.

No comments: