8/20/2004

First.

Sitting in my car in front of Best Buy, I dialed the 10+ numbers on my phone card in order to contact Chris Charlton. He is currently staying in LA, but his cell phone is serviced from England where he originally lives. Chris Charlton is traveling around the world in a Landrover, and he's been at it for about four months now. Beginning in East Canada, he traveled up through the country into Alaska, back down through Canada, around the U.S., and is now traveling down the west coast of North America to get to Mexico. Moreover, he is planning to climb the Seven Summits, which I think is just plain dandy.

I heard about Chris through Brooks Smothers and Wendy Guerrero at school. One e-mail explaining my intentions to travel with him was enough to convince him. I want to photograph this man's life. I want to inform others that someone is, in fact, living out the dream to "see the world." So many of us say we want to go all over, but how many people really follow through?

After a brief conversation on the cell phone, I had a small piece of paper with directions to where he is staying. Traffic was hell down the 101 and the 405. Surprise surprise. I found the place after about two hours of driving; he's spending his LA days stationed at an apartment a block from Beverly Boulevard. I walked into the apartment and was introduced to Vaughn Hart, a friend Chris met back up in Santa Barbara. Vaughn was more than happy to offer his place as a resting point for Chris once he left Ojai to continue his trip down South. Chris can't turn down a free place to stay, which was understandable. Even more, Vaughn is an excellent host. Amazing cook - at least, in my book - socially easy to be around, and extremely accomodating. He's been around Asia and Europe, and photography is a strong hobby of his. He and I found common ground right off the bat.


While heating water for late night tea, Chris tells Vaughn a funny story. Posted by Hello

The evening was spent learning about Chris and Vaughn, eating a great dinner, and watching the gymnastics competition during the 2004 Olympics in Athens, Greece. Oh right, I photographed it all as they all fell together. Witnessing Carly Patterson win the gold medal in the women's all-around competition was very touching. It moved me to see her coach swing her around in his arms as she weeped in complete joy; it made me smile seeing her get the gold medal she dreamed of and worked hard four years to receive. Olympians amaze me.


Chris and Vaughn watching the 2004 Olympics on TV. Posted by Hello

I'll be heading to bed now, which is a sleeping bag on the carpet floor. I expect that I'll be spending the next three nights in a sleeping bag, but I look forward to sleeping in unfamiliar places. I've spent too many nights in the same place with the same sleeping habits.

No comments: