9/02/2004

Play true.

I never got to hang out with Patrick today, but I guess that's alright. Maybe someday in the future we'll cross paths. I mainly wanted to know his life story because, according to Julia, he's had a rough history. I would have love to know how he got through the tough times to where he is now, which seems to be a God-centered person really making an impact at Crown.

The majority of the day was spent with Julia and Stacy. People like Emma and Andrew came and went throughout the day, but Julia and Stacy stayed consistent. Mostly because I was Julia's friend who was visiting, so I followed her like a lost lamb. Stacy is Julia's best friend at Crown, so she hung out a lot with us. I really got to know Stacy really well, and I was glad to know that Julia had someone like Stacy around to be there for her, and vice versa.

Julia drove me back to the Olson's, and we arrived around 6:30 or 7. Julia and I noticed Andrea's car parked behind one of their barns, so we went to check it out. Laura was sitting in the grass in front of the barn playing with the puppies, which was a funny site considering that Laura already looks like a 14 year old. She looked like she lost four more years seeing her sitting by herself playing with the doggies. That's sort of a mean thing to say, but I know she can take it.

Anyhow, Julia and I walked up into the barn to find Karen and Andrea rummaging through stuff. I gave Andrea a big hug; I wasn't sure if she knew I was coming or not. Regardless, she was very happy to see me, as was I to see her.

The night ended after Laura and I returned back home at around 12 am. We went out with Julia and Brad to see her youth pastor and wife, and then Julia, Laura and I went out to Perkin's to hang out with Laura's school and church buddies. I'm realizing more and more how much older I'm getting when I look at recently graduated high schoolers and seeing how much they look like kids to me. Anyhow, we had a fun time and I was glad to meet more of Laura's friends and those who are influential in her life.

Before Laura went to bed, she brought out the guitar and asked me to play a couple worship songs so we could sing. That meant, in my mind, that I could play since I can't really sing and she could sing since she can't really play. We're such a team. Anyhow, it was very cool to actually play worship songs and play with actual emotion. Worship songs usually don't do it for me at church, though it seems more personal playing them in your own room. I rarely do that, though, so playing while Laura sang was rejuvenating. By the way, I've learned that Laura has quite the voice. I remember her telling me she sang for chapel back in Indonesia, but I always thought that was because they really didn't have anyone to sing. Yesterday, she played me a song she wrote, and I was really impressed how well she could sing. It was encouraging to see her channel that talent into her passion for God.

After singing a couple songs, Laura threw out the question, "If you were ask one thing from God, what would you ask?" I guess Laura acts on her emotions more than I, and a couple good worship songs can heighten a spiritual sense. I tend to keep that in check, but it's good every once in a while to have someone come up and challenge you to not keep it in check. A good spiritual high is healthy sometimes, but that is besides the point. All I could throw out for an answer was Christ to return. I believe my whole reaction to life right now is I'm tired. I'm really exhausted going through day to day living and dealing with the suffering that a Christian goes through. I'm tired of this, and I want to go Home.

Laura said she'd ask for a pure heart.

No comments: