9/03/2004

Less sleep makes for longer days.

I walked lightly through the Olson's land observing how the sunlight was bouncing off different objects. Shadows covered items that gave it more drama than it deserved. The farm screams of old age as I traveled from one spot to the next. Raising my camera, I focus on a tin can. The shutter releases.


Posted by Hello

I spent the early morning photographing elements in the farm that I felt was photographically interesting. I avoided human presence in the pictures, but kept in the element of human effects. Time alone doing my photography thing was something I needed. I've spent two weeks with people; time to get away for an hour.

After a while, Laura came out in her Walmart vest and her hair fixed ready to spend eight hours behind a cashier's counter. She walked towards me while I took a picture of some old building, and handed me a note. Girls like notes. They're fun to write and good to read, but you would never hear of a guy writing a guy a note before parting ways. Girls like them, though. I'll write a note to a girl, except I didn't think of it with Laura until she handed me one. Doh...obligation calls.

Laura seemed to dread saying goodbye much more than I saw necessary; however, she did say a fine goodbye with hugs and all. She drove off and that's that. I spent the next few hours talking with Uncle Jim and Angela and packing up my stuff before Julia came.


Karen and Angela have piano lessons taught by Michelle. Angela practices some pieces in the morning. Posted by Hello

The wait for my plane is excruciating. I missed my first flight, so now I'm waiting two and a half hours for the next. It's not that we didn't leave early enough, but there was a crazy accident on the road that delayed us. Julia and I did bond again for the last time, so it was good to have the extra time to talk with her. She had some things on her mind that she needed to get out, so I appreciated that God provided us that extra time. Not so much that it was an accident that granted the time for us...you know what I mean.

I must say that the week with the Olsons has been a very relaxing and destressing time. I needed this. I needed the break from school, and I needed the break to be spent in a unique way. Being out of California for a couple weeks was indeed refreshing. I thank God that I was able to talk and learn about every person in that family on a deeper level. Maybe not as deep as some people may think, but I've come to know each and one of them better; and that was worth my trip.

Julia and I gave our parting words and goodbye hugs just outside the departure terminals. I wrote both Julia and Laura notes knowing that they'd appreciate that, plus it wins points with the ladies. Ha! If only they weren't Julia and Laura would that make that statement worth something...

I love those girls.

I'm feeling the nostalgia now. Indeed it will be a hard thing to step onto the plane. But life goes on, and I know that Julia and Laura will always be around.

Sling on my backpack, throw my camera onto my shoulder, and head over to board the plane. It's going to be a long flight.

No comments: