7/07/2007

Happy birthday, Rachel! (Ethiopia: Day Seven)

As you can see, I haven't really kept up with the journal. The last three days felt long. Lots of shooting at a different location everyday - sometimes two different locations. Carol had to sit down with Sam, Fred, and Bob a lot to modify scripts and go over the shot list. Luckily, Ini and I didn't have to sit through those. Sometimes it's nice to just be a cameraman and not have to worry about logistics. I felt bad for Carol, though.

Going through the remote villages was very educational for me. I've seen a lot of it in the Philippines before, but it was still different. It was shocking seeing people gather their water from a muddy water hole or from a brown lake with no way of filtering it. The water didn't flow at all; I just can't imagine drinking and bathing and washing clothes in the same source. Especially when your livestock also share that water. I just feel really lucky to be born and raised in the States under a middle class situation, but I always feel like I should help those who are less fortunate than me.

We are now back in Addis. We got back around 7 or 8 tonight, and then went out to dinner at a touristy restaurant that had cultural music and dancing. It was much fun and entertaining. Tomorrow is a little more shooting but a lot in a radio station where we will record a lot of the script for voice overs. Booooring...but necessary.

The footage we've gotten so far has been really good, and I can't wait to get back home to start editing this sucker.

No comments: